Tuesday 22 October 2013

The Jumper Solution





Our  lovely heating engineer arrives to service the boiler. He stays nearly 2 hours because we are talking so much. While he fiddles with pipes and radiators and airlocks, I whizz up a batch of mayonnaise, make a bottle of French dressing, scrub out the bottom two shelves of the fridge and clean the sink. 
I ask him how we can save money on our gas and electricity bills which have doubled in a year. He says keep the doors closed and lower the room thermostat temperature. Get used to being cold, wear more jumpers. Turn the lights off. Change your supplier. ( I have Googled comparison sites and we could have saved money with one company but they just raised their prices by 10 percent last night.)

 I don't want to live in a cold dark house this winter full of soggy washing.  There is probably a compromise.........  the jumper solution? And getting used to change ....being willing to change. Without  being miserable about it. The trouble is is that it's a really mild October - warmer outside than in -  so I haven't had to test my willingness yet....

To make up for last night's horrid battered fish fingers I bake slabs of fresh haddock slathered in a Teriyaki style sauce of chopped garlic and ginger, chilli and soy sauce....... and roast a  tray of  tiny pebble potatoes with the first allotment Jerusalem artichokes which collapse into sweet fragrant heaps in the oven.

Then I  make a cup of tea, turn the lights down low, close the door, wrap myself up in a blanket and watch the final of The Great British Bake Off.



No comments:

Post a Comment