Friday 6 September 2013

Risking It








Pistachio Topped Courgette Cake

This recipe is in Nigella Lawson's How To Be A Domestic Goddess book and it's called Flora's Famous Courgette Cake. I've made this cake (and some variations of it) many times before and it's always been successful. Especially if you layer it up into four tiers with a similar carrot cake recipe and slather it together with a slithery cream cheese and lemon curd frosting, so it looks like a creamy lime green and orange, topply tower.

But the last time I made this recipe - just the single courgette cake - it was a flat disaster - dense and heavy and only any good for a trifle. So I stopped making it. 

But it's courgette season again and so yesterday I decided to risk it and baked it for a friend's birthday. I wasn't entirely sure it was light enough and cooked through till I slit it in half and sandwiched it together with the lemony cream icing. And even then I didn't know if it tasted wonderful.

I took it along to share after our Deeksha evening meditation but as our friend wasn't there ( she didn't know there was birthday cake for her) we didn't cut it so I took it home and put it in the fridge. But luckily as my husband was booked to have a walk with her today anyway, he took it with him so she got to have her cake after all.  

And even though I'll never know what it tasted like I'm really glad I risked it and tried the recipe again. 
It's too good to give up on. Like the true me.

No comments:

Post a Comment