Tuesday 20 August 2013

I'll Climb Under The Desk

  


Avocado and Tomato Bruscetta - lunch of my dreams....


I sit with a sweet young man at my husband's desk and he talks me through how to set up internet banking on my computer. I feel wrung out after nearly 2 hours but now I know how to access at least three of our accounts.  So that I'll be able to do it when at some point in the future my husband won't be able to.

The same young man sorts out the problem of my husband's speakers - says he needs new ones. He shows us the little green socket to plug them into at the back of the hard drive. My husband goes to PC World and buys portable speakers which don't fit. He doesn't know what a PC is. Or what a socket is. 

After lunch we take them back and replace them with ones that fit. I say,

 I'm smaller than you so I'll climb under the desk and connect them. 

In the end we do it together and now he can hear his music and the recording of the choir he sings in which he loves and plays a lot.

I feel drained by all this climbing....climbing these new mountains of technology which I hate. It's not really the technical stuff that I have to learn it's finding a way to slide down the slope of acceptance...... that I need to do stuff -  gracefully -  that my husband used to do easily .....and that resenting it just makes it steeper.

It turns out that walking up steep hills would be very good for me......says the man with the magic hands who diagnoses the nagging pain in my right hip as sciatica -  coming from inflamed nerves in the lower vertebrae of my back.

And as a dear friend reminds me - sciatica is all about frustration - about not being able to go where you want.... or move forward.....or move at all.....without pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment