Monday 10 June 2013

Nights On Sofas





Cadhay House Poppy


Nights on the Sofa

Friday night I watch “The Smurfs”  with my husband. The library has a good supply of DVD cartoons in the children’s section. We nibble on flapjacks and dried dates.

Saturday night we sit with my Sister Big, my tender-hearted sister, who is visiting us from Luton, watching the final of Britain’s Got Talent, eating slippery cheesy triangles of Zizzi’s pizza.

Sunday night it’s trays on our laps -  Cauldron veggie sausages, roast sweet potatoes and Calvo Nero cabbage tossed with a whole bulb of finely sliced fresh garlic ( the first one  - my husband pulled it from the allotment that morning) while we finish our game of scrabble - being careful not to get horseradish mayonnaise on the tiles. My husband wins.

Tonight I sit next to my big brother, who is visting us from Holland, on our Sister Middle’s sofa after she has fed us a fabulous vegetable curry with eggs and creamy basmati rice, watching Slumdog Millionaire  - entirely appropriate as he has recently returned from running a workshop in Chennai. 

I love escaping into the stories of these other worlds.... and I love the company of my dear siblings who keep the wheel of our family spinning even though the hub of our parents is missing....keeping me, Sister Little, in their sight, in their hearts...





No comments:

Post a Comment