Monday 13 May 2013

Too Cold For Comfort

Snowball blossom on our apple tree


Bluebells not quite out at Blackberry camp, Honiton



Blossom before the rain




Giant blueberries for lunch


At the allotment



Beech leaves in bluebell mist

I’m loving this pink and white and green spring blowing its blossom along our street, snowballing in our apple tree unfurling its precious pale leaves, filling out the tree skeletons with bright new growth. I’m longing to be out in the garden, planting and composting but today the sky turns the colour of blueberries and the wind is unfriendly cold.  Late afternoon the sun comes out briefly and we risk a vist to the allotment.

While my husband strims the grass with the wire and his resolve snapping every 10 seconds, I cut 90 stems of rhubarb, the colour of garnets. I reckon there are about 30 stems to a kilo and tomorrow I’m taking them in to sell  at our local organic food shop, cafe and bakery who have put out a call for garden rhubarb. When the store http://www.realfoodexeter.co.uk/  first opened a few years ago we bought some shares in it ( in the days when we didn’t think twice about spending money). Emma’s bread is wonderful and last month they won an award for the Best Cream Tea in the South West.

Maybe we’ll put our rhubarb money towards a cream tea then - or towards the parking ticket I got the other day outside another health food store - so the jar of coconut oil I was buying turned out to be rather expensive.....

Now I’m really tired and cold -  even though I'm wrapped up in a thick woolly cardi -  and a bit despondent and bleak.... my neck is stiff sore - maybe that shoulder stand I did in my yoga class this morning was a stretch too far - so I’m glad supper is nearly cooked.... the aroma of sweet baking leeks, squash and garlic beckoning me into foody comfort downstairs........



No comments:

Post a Comment