Wednesday 8 May 2013

Mortgage Relief



Weeding plans at the allotment delayed
while I talk to a man on the phone
about changing our mortgage. 

I write down on the back of the letter
the ten options he offers -  
standard variable rates,
percentages over the Bank of England base rates,
tracker mortgages
with an arrangement fee of £499,
or a fixed rate with no fee at 3.29%
for 2 years.

I put the phone on loud speaker
but my husband
sitting next to me on a stool
shakes his head and shrugs
incomprehension
of the words 
and 
strong Scottish accent 
of the man talking into the peace 
of our kitchen.
Who isn’t allowed to give advice.

I feel awkward,
out of my depth
being the one
who has to understand this stuff
which was my husband’s area of
expertise.

In the end we compare the options
choose one
with a calculator
right or wrong 
and I call the Scottish man back.

He asks more endless questions
which I strain to hear
so my husband says he’s off to buy
grow-bags for the tomatoes.

Leaving me to manage 
my own growth spurt
into the world of 
financial responsibility.

It’s a relief to join him later at the allotment 
my hands in the cool rhubarb bed,
pulling up the weeds.






2 comments:

  1. Still an amazing read. You sound happier now, settling in to life. I remember my first home grown asparagus, it was then I realised why people raved about it. Allotments are wonderful calming places. I'd love to see a photo of you, I want to be able to picture you walking, cooking, weeding...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks dear Nina. I loved the photos of your allotment - and I know you understand about the marvel of pulling your own asparagus and how everything tastes so alive when you you picked it a few hours ago! And I wish you could be my gardener - 30 years experience - worth sharing!

    You have made me think about posting a photo of me - I was going to do it for my About Page but never did...!

    ReplyDelete