Thursday 30 May 2013

Honeysuckle Summer










I am
cutting the grass
churning up daisies,
leaving  pink tinged petals strewn,
mowing out the beat of Bob Marley
blasting across the fences.
And the laughing student boys
exams over or not,
clink their beer cans,
 BBQ smoke wafting.
Careless summer comes 
this afternoon
for them.

I plant a hanging basket
with sunset begonias trailing,
sparse in their new high home
above ground
by the yellow front door.
I dig up buttercups
in the shade of the honeysuckle hedge
pumping out its sweet peppery perfume
as if there was nothing else
to do
with all the time in the world 
to unfurl its rose to gold
crown of horns.

When my skin is sunburn tight
I leave the green garden
and melt dark brown sugar
and a block of butter
on the hob,
and whisk in a fur of lemon zest,
a long froth of eggs
a snow shower of flour,
and bake a cake.
To share with friends
tonight.

To stem the shadow brush
of sadness
that has followed me
all day
in and out of the
sunlight.






No comments:

Post a Comment