Tuesday 28 May 2013

Blue Bananas


Mother-in-law blue....

Alien bananas....


Police siren blue.


Liverpool Lilac


Basking seal near Babbacombe...South West Coastal Path


Liverpool wallflower escaping the bars of a gate...


 Back from Liverpool, sunday evening -  I’m slicing fruit - pale canteloupe melon, small, only just ripe nectarines, red-skinned apples, oranges from Spain, a banana... and scooting them into the shallow mouth of a blue glass bowl - a precious gift from my mother-in-law many years ago.  I think it’s a rather dull selection of fruit but then the sun powers in from behind the poplar tree and floods the kitchen counter  - flashing into the glass bowl  - painting my bananas police siren blue.

My dear cousin is stting at the kitchen table in the pathway of the sun recovering after his long hike - another lap of the South West Coastal Path - reading yesterday’s newspaper. Reading like my husband used to.....eating up the words.....drinking in their meaning......easy as breathing.....turning the pages....a mind feast....editing.....choosing what to skip over...what to tussle with...... a world to explore whenever he wants .....always there...the gates yawning open.

Sometimes, carelessly, I forget...... my hands wet from chopping....I ask my husband what’s on TV.....he opens the guide.....hands it to me...

You’d better read it - I’ve got no idea what it says....

As alien to him as blue bananas.


No comments:

Post a Comment