Wednesday 3 April 2013

Wild and Precious?



Last night  I had a text from a friend reminding me to look at the stars  - which I had noticed on my way up the stairs as I passed the landing window - but I didn’t stop and gaze...

This morning I read Robert Holden’s daily inspiration email where he quotes Mary’s Oliver’s poem, Summer’s Day ‘What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?’ 

It stays with me all day - this unanswerable question ....

as I hang my powder blue pashmina on the line and it flaps in the wind and the sun like a huge flag announcing a truce on winter.....

as I make yet another long TO DO LIST in purple ink....and wonder if I’ll ever get to the end....

as I heave the vacuum cleaner up to the top of the stairs......

as I cut the heads off two frozen sea bass and try not to retch......

as I carry out two cups of tea for the men on the scaffolding tower outside the front of our house.....

as I explain to my husband that he can’t eat any more dried figs on our detox diet.....

I notice that I have forgotten how savour the moments of my life - however mundane - and how wild and precious feels like someone else’s life - never mine.....


No comments:

Post a Comment