Tuesday 30 April 2013

The First Asparagus......









Some firsts today - 

  1. My husband brings back the first four long bright wands of asparagus, purple tipped with soil clinging to their woody white ends.....I’m thrilled at how sweet they taste compared to the bunch I bought on special offer in Sainsbury’s the other day. As there are only four I eke out our lunch with green brushes of sprouting broccoli to dip into soft boiled eggs and a garlicky sesame dressing as well ( which just about slips into the category of hollandaise or butter - but not really). And two slices of my Oaty Seedy Bread  - the hemp seeds jump out under the grill when I toast it....
2.We have lunch outside on the patio - the sun bouncing off the white plastic table top - making me go inside for sunglasses to shield the glare.I think this is our first lunch in the garden this year.....the first really hot one anyway....
.
3. My first sight of open bluebells in the hedgerow on our walk above the River Otter this afternoon....and noticing the tiny violets hiding in the grass..... and is that white lacey froth wild carrot or cow parsley?.....wishing I knew more names of wild flowers - I love them so much - they feel like delicate, vulnerable companions along our route to the bridge across the river....

4.Not for the first time I’m glad I accepted my husband’s invitation to walk with him when in the past I would have declined as I already had my day full to the brim with THINGS TO DO.....but then I would have missed the swan who looked like he was posing for me - treading water .....but really he was waiting for his mate who was dawdling in the reeds....taking her time....knowing he'd always be there......


No comments:

Post a Comment