Tuesday 9 April 2013

Sticky Labels


9th April 2013

The time has come for sticky labels.

I’m showing my husband how to make our breakfast which is a green juice smoothie. He writes the list of ingredients first and then opens the fridge.

When he says Which one is the cucumber? I point it out.

When he reads a carrot on the list and picks up a banana in the fruit bowl, I say No, it’s orange.

Oh, that’s a carrot, he says, finding them in a paper bag in the fridge.

When it comes to things like Lecithin Granules and Wheat Grass Powder he writes yellow box and green bottle instead, and I make the labels for the pumpkin seeds and the sesame seeds in the jars by the cooker.

I have asked him to go shopping for me in the farmer’s market on Thursday as I’m going to be away tomorrow for 2 days and a night visiting my father's cousin. When he writes the list he makes little line drawings of a parnsnip and a mushroom and an onion next to the word. He could always draw beautifully.

We plan the menus for the meals he’ll have to make himself. There is a tin of tuna on the counter with a sticky label on which says Wednesday’s Lunch.  I’m just trusting he’ll recognise the cucumber in the fridge and the Seedy Bread to go with it. More chance now they have sticky labels on them too.

I wish there was a sticky label for a broken mind.....maybe it would say,

Love me, I’m still me.



No comments:

Post a Comment