Thursday 28 March 2013

Rescued By Cake (Love)





I don't’ think I’ll come tonight, says my husband, I’m a bit tired.

I recognise his ‘I’m crap and no good and don’t deserve to be here’ face.

You have to, I say.  Because after the meditation there’ll be birthday cake - especially for you.

And it’s a magnificent cake layered and smothered with chocolate frosting, baby sugared Easter eggs marking out a six and a zero in the centre, all lit up with gold and silver candles.....and a pile of beautiful cards...... and a bunch of daffodils cut from a garden and sixteen voices in a circle all singing happy birthday to my husband.....even though it’s not till Sunday.....

And no-one minds when he opens his cards and reads the names signed inside and I match the faces to the names of our friends for him - because they know that love isn’t trapped in words..... 

And it’s their love and their kindness that rescues me tonight ....melting yesterday’s ice floes in my heart....bringing me home to myself....with each sweet mouthful of cake...and the smile on my husband’s face....



2 comments: