Wednesday 31 October 2012

Festive Fasting


31st October 2012 Haloween

Today we measure our meals in calories - I look up the value of eggs and tomatoes and fresh haddock and my husband writes it down. He can have 600 and I can have 500. He wants to know how many in jam and mayonnaise. I want to know how many in avocado and olive oil. In the end our fasting day feels quite festive. Apart from a dip this afternoon when I did have a tiny lick of chocolate brownie mixture ( must make a note not to bake on a fasting day) I don’t feel hungry. 

We start with a poached egg on Ryvita crispbread - it’s dry without the butter. Lunch is a quarter of an avocado, a tablespoon of pumpkin seeds - lettuce tomato celery and cucumber  with a dribble of balsamic vinegar. I miss the olive oil in the dressing. Supper is a small piece of smoked haddock,  steamed curly kale and red pepper - saved from being dull by a mega minimal calorie dressing of  chopped parlsely, lemon juice, capers, crushed garlic and roasted cumin. And a cup of tea.

Notice I miss the fat and the oil and the nuts and tahini rather than sugar and fruit and chocolate but knowing I can have them tomorrow makes it easy. .... and I think I’m not as tired as I usually am at this time of night.

Had inspiration in the night about the pussy cat getting wet while he drinks from the tap - put a towel in the bath, the edge tucked into a bin liner where the water drips...It works - he even curled up on the towel and fell asleep and his paws stayed dry. He’s still not using the litter tray properly though - lots of pee on the floor ......

No comments:

Post a Comment