Wednesday 26 September 2012

Lost in the Kitchen


26th September 2012 Wednesday

I lost myself in the kitchen today....

The house smells of chutney - the spiced vinegary aroma has seeped into the carpets and curtains - even the bubbling volcano of Rhubarb and Ginger jam I made this morning hasn’t masked it. Yesterday’s chutney - Tomato, Tomatillo and Apple -  burnt on the bottom of the pan - the beautiful new maslin pan my husband bought me for Christmas last year - leaving a thick black crust pitted with charcoal raisins and mustard seeds. I rescued most of the chutney -  and the pan -  but was super attentive to the Aubergine and Red Pepper Relish I cooked today and didn’t leave the kitchen the whole time.

I’m being inspired by a book on Jams and Preserves from Lakeland which I bought my husband a few birthdays ago when he was the chutney maker (and burner of the bottom of the pan) in the house. Also a book called Edible Gifts which a dear friend gave me 30 years ago and which has wonderful recipes in it like Kumquat Chutney Sauce, Lemon Shrub, and Peppercorn Jelly. I want to make them all, and more, for my table at the one day Christmas Fayre my sister is putting on at their farm in November. And I want to find ways to use up our apples before they go rotten in the shed..... and all that garlic too......

It’s our 26th wedding anniversary tomorrow. I love sharing this date now with my niece and her husband who live in Beirut - it’s their 4th. And there will be another date to celebrate next month when their baby is born.....

No comments:

Post a Comment