Monday 10 September 2012

Food Memories


10th September 2012 Monday

Tonight’s supper inspired by Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall’s new book called Three Good Things on a Plate.......like his idea of simplicity - although he does use lots of seasoning ingredients as well as the main trio. Also my fridge is rather empty at the moment  - veggies at the allotment are wearing thin. 

So while my husband sings in his choir I catch up on iplayer with Celebrity Masterchef and a plate of waxy potatoes cooked in stock and garlic, a mound of spinach and broccoli, a soft poached egg on top and a dollop of mayo on the side. Close enough to three good things....and not a pigeon breast or lobster in sight.....

I write a letter in a card to my oldest schoolfriend today. Her mother, well into her nineties, died on Tuesday. Found myself remembering her and our African childhood - and all those hot afernoons I spent in her house, sitting on her bed and eating slabs of a dense, moist cake her mother used to make which we called Chinese Spice Cake. Which I’ve never tasted since.

Odd the things that stay in our memories.....and all the ones we forget. I notice that food memories are a kind of anchor for me - I can pull them up any time and re-live the occasion of all those wonderful tastes and textures and aromas.....and remember the beloved peope sharing them with me.....


No comments:

Post a Comment