Saturday 18 August 2012

Supper Party


18th August 2012 Saturday

Our dear supper guests have just left.  Shoes kicked off, we’ve been clearing up the kitchen, putting away the leftovers in the fridge, nibbling on Waitrose Chocolate Mint Thins even though I’m completely stuffed.

It’s been sultry hot and overcast all day. Windows and doors thrown open I have to cover the food immediatley I make another dish to stop the black flies landing on it. This afternoon my husband and I sit sweating in the garden shelling peas, and rubbing the muddy, papery skins off the garlic bulbs which have been drying out in the shed.

The pussy cat has been around me all day, awake when he’s usually sleeping. He was sick this morning. I have decided to stop the krill oil/superfood ordeal even though he’s only eating enough to keep a mouse alive. But then they say the less you eat the longer you live.....

This was our supper party tonight:

 A Portuguese Fish stew  - chunks of haddock and salmon in a rich tomato sauce( made with huge orange brandywine tomatoes) spiked with hot paprika....
A garlicky Rouille/green sauce made with basil and parsley....
Roasted aubergines, peppers and courgettes......
Waxy red skinned potatoes -  plain boiled to mash into the fishy stew....
Purple beans, peas and spinach tossed in coconut oil......

And for afters:

An Orange Cardamon Polenta cake glazed with rosewater and honey ( left over from supper with my husband’s aunty and her lovely Armenian family on Monday)....
A Parfait ice cream rippled with blackcurrants....
and a blackberry compote.....

No wonder I’m getting fat.


No comments:

Post a Comment