Thursday 5 July 2012

Not Getting Up In The Night


5th July 2012 Thursday
On TV last night was a programme called When I Get Older. I watch an exhausted woman who has the same name as me caring for her husband who has had a stroke. He used to be an athlete. She says sometimes she goes to the bottom of the garden and screams. He says he does too but not in the garden because he’s always in bed.She says she has stopped seeing him as a person just someone with bodily needs. 
When she realises it and she says sorry and kisses him he says he feels twenty years younger. It makes me cry.
Today these are the words my husband doesn’t know until I explain them.....
fan
cabinet
slug
arena
Bollinger
Tonight I’m feeling so grateful that all I have to face are the pinpricks of a dying vocabulary. And not getting up three times a night to give my husband a pee bottle. For years and years.

No comments:

Post a Comment