Wednesday 27 June 2012

Jam and Tennis


27th June 2012 Wednesday
Today I didn’t leave the house. I got tired of the drama in my head.  I took deep breaths. I prayed. I cried. I made lots of phone calls to the CAB, to the secretary of our neurologist, to Age UK, to my sisters. I roasted beetroots and red onions for lunch.
Then I made jam. From last year’s fruit in the freezer. Six jars of strawberry and redcurrant -  dark ruby red. Ten jars of Victoria plum  - a strange murky brown - could be mistaken for chutney but sweetly fragrant -  catapulting me back to last summer -  the tree at the allotment its branches dripping with heavy rose blushed plums. 
Because I was stirring  jam I couldn’t watch the tennis. But I had the TV on in the sitting room so I could hear the cracking sound of balls on racquets and the crowds cheering.....taking me back and back to all those Wimbledons I’ve absorbed since I was twelve years old. 

A comforting summer ritual that never changes - when everything else is wobbly, shifting, uncertain...... 

No comments:

Post a Comment