Friday 1 June 2012

Black and Gold


1st June 2012 Friday
A dear friend describes her vision for me - a black wall -  two clear lines of gold light defining a door way - the light behind the door which I could push open - any time soon.
Black and gold like the ears of the Egyptian god Anubis. My husband has recently made a beautiful clay model of him for a dear friend’s birthday. He’s sleek, serene and majestic.  In Egyptian mythology he accompanies souls on their journeys through the underworld.
Today I practised a little bit - in the darkness of my underworld - letting in a shaft of light when I changed my mind about something. I wasn’t sure I wanted my husband to see a series of films about bereavement - films made by people who had lost or were losing loved ones they had cared for for many years.  I was afraid he would be upset.
Then I saw how much I try and protect him, and how that can become control.  So we watched the films together, along  with the people who made the films, and their friends and supporters, people who share something of their experience. People like us. They were moving and sad and uplifting and courageous. 

Nothing to be afraid of when you listen with the black and gold ears of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment