Wednesday 6 June 2012

Cake and Clay


6th June 2012 Wednesday
Lovely shared pre-birthday lunch for my sister at a friend's house - we are three round a table laid out with a bounty of salads and stuffed peppers, grilled asparagus, walnut bread, apricot and cherries  and vases of wild flowers.
Just being in their company, being heard and accepted and laughing a lot ,soothes my anxious heart and I leave feeling calmer and lighter. When I’ve baked another cake - with all the ingredients - roasted ground almonds this time - I feel more in control of preparations for going on our family holiday on Friday. I’m cooking for eleven people on Saturday and I don’t want to forget anything.
My husband comes home with a big smile on his face. The gallery at Otterton Mill have accepted five of his ceramic models. I feel a bit smug as I suggested four of them which are some of his  more realistic creatures but still with his own wonderful quirkyness about them. He says they put on a hundred percent mark-up at the gallery so the price has to double. He thinks no one will buy them at that price. But I think they will. It feels like a new opening for him - a confidence boost.
You don’t need words in your fingers. His clay creatures speak for themselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment