Thursday 5 April 2012

Caponata

5th April 2012 Thursday


The roads around the cafe where I’m meeting two dear friends for lunch are clotted with Easter holiday traffic. The car parks are full. I queue for a space and have to run to be on time. The wind is icy, sharp with rain spots. But my plate of Buffalo Mozzarella - a torn white heart in a choppy pool of Aubergine Caponata with a slab of sour dough bread is a treat. We share chocolate brownie and carrot cake afterwards, cut into threes.


My heart goes out to my friend whose father is in hospital - she’s crossing that uncertain terrain of making decisions about his care - what happens when he comes out? I remember the weight of those feelings. And now I’m on the other side of that place, across the river, in the foothills of another landscape. Without signposts.


So I take my cold to bed with a book and look up recipes for Caponata - a sweet and sour vegetable stew of tomatoes and aubergines, celery and parsley from the hot hills of Sicily. Then I’ll do what I always do to find my way back out of the shadows - cook something.


No comments:

Post a Comment