Friday 27 April 2012

Book Cycle


27th April 2012 Friday
Our house is full of books. Books in nearly every room. As we are taking three boxes of my father’s books to Book-Cycle in Exeter I suggest that we take some of ours   - well my husband’s anyway, as he won’t be reading them again.  I pick out one book at a time, read out the title, the author. He shakes his head and puts it on the pile on the floor. He doesn’t recognise any of them.
Did I really read this?’ he says, flicking through a fat volume of  Robertson Davis’s Cornish Trilogy. 

Yes. But not every book on this shelf,’ I say.
But most of them. All that history and politics and psychology and  fiction fantasy and thrillers.
‘Oh, this was your acting Bible,’ I say. A book called ‘Impro’ by Keith Johnson about Improvisation and Method Acting.
The name is familiar,’ he says. ‘What do you mean, my Bible?’
So now I know more about my husband’s past than he does. Even the bits when I wasn’t there.
Book-Cycle does a wonderful job - it’s a charity that sends thousands of books to children around the world and plants trees and promotes seed banks and provides performance and art exhibition space.
I’m glad my father’s Bibles - and my husband’s - are going to new homes.
You can find them at www.book-cycle.org

2 comments:

  1. Your books did indeed find loving homes! thanks for thinking of us,
    Book-Cycle =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so great to know - thanks Ant, and thanks for reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete