Thursday 29 March 2012

Surprise Birthday

29th March 2012 Thursday


It’s that time on a Thursday night after our Deeksha meditation, when our friends’ living room is buzzing with conversation, the sounds of kettles boiling and called out requests for Earl Grey, Roibos and fennel tea. In the utility room off the kitchen I’m busy lighting candles on a carrot and walnut cake - squidgy with a mascapone cream cheese frosting, The dear friend next to me is also lighting candles on her beautiful arrangement of chocolate almond cupcakes.


I ask someone to dim the lights, everyone starts singing Happy Birthday, and we carry in our plates of flame flickering cakes and set them down in front of my husband whose face lights up with surprise. He blows them all out and then conducts us with his two fore fingers dancing to the rhythm of For He’s a Jolly Good Fellow. He opens his unexpected cards and gifts and checks with me who they are from before he says thank you. It’s not even his birthday till Saturday.


I feel so touched by the wonderful warmth in the room for my husband. The way these dear friends accept and love him - just like they always have. The way they are accompanying us into these bumpy unchartered waters like a flotilla of rescue boats always within reach....it makes my heart melt with gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment