Monday 5 March 2012

Blogging Journey

5th March 2012


My husband has a letter saying he is no longer eligible for Employment Support Allowance. He may have a disability but he’s not quite disabled enough according to the criteria of the Department of Works and Pensions. Not knowing the difference between a courgette and a croissant isn’t quite the same as not being able to dress yourself. The man on the other end of the phone says he’ll send him a form to appeal against the decision. I’m not holding my breath.


We drive out to Otterton Mill to meet up with a dear friend from my university days, and her husband, who are visiting from Scotland. We haven’t seen them for eighteen years. I was a bridesmaid at their wedding thirty two years ago. We laugh when she says


I can’t believe I let you wear that awful pink confection of a dress.


It seemed pretty at the time though.


They come back to our house for a cream tea - I had to buy the scones - can’t use my left arm for mixing or chopping or rolling out as it hurts my chest. My friend doesn’t eat them though as she is on a diet - she has already lost stones - I hardly recognise her - and she has toast and smoked salmon pate instead.


The men say the scones are good. But not as good as mine which would have been hot and crumbly and straight out of the oven.


Today is the birthday of the beautiful young woman who started me out on this blogging journey - nearly two years ago. Happy Birthday and thank you, sweet niece.

No comments:

Post a Comment