Monday 26 March 2012

Biscuits Cakes and a Legacy of Goodness

26th March 2012 Monday


I’m standing in Marks and Spencers Food Hall looking at the rows and rows of biscuits and cakes, checking them off on the list my sister has sent me. Our job is to choose a selection and work out how many packets and boxes we need to feed a possible 250 people after our father’s second thanksgiving service in London on Saturday.


I have to squash down that rebellious throbbing pulse which says ‘but they aren’t good enough - they aren’t homemade’. The Extremely Chocolatey range look rather tempting though and maybe the Cappucino Sponge Roll - cut into eight slices and on offer at 2 for £2 - would be acceptable....... Then there is the issue of carrying them on the train all the way to Paddington....


I’m not complaining though - I don’t have to write anything or read anything in the service - my brother in law is doing the lion’s share of all that....choosing biscuits is a piece of cake.


Tonight we watch Jeremy Paxman bumping along in a Landrover in Malawi - telling the story of David Livingstone in his programme about the Empire. There are black and white photos of Livingstone’s funeral at Westminster Abbey - a thousand weeping mourners line the streets. He was my grandfather’s hero - inspired him to become a missionary in Africa. My father too.


So thank you, David Livingstone - for your legacy of goodness which didn’t die with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment