Sunday 15 January 2012

His African Heart

15th January 2012 Sunday


The tributes for my father have started to come - flooding in....


‘No-one who came in contact with your father was ever the same again.....


‘We loved that man....


‘He was a great pioneer and a fearless fighter for the things he believed in....


‘I am writing from Zambia....I was happy to see that his role in the Independence struggle was recognised on the TV news last night...’

I wish he was here to read them all.


Today the wind is biting cold through my coat. I push my trolley round the aisles in Sainsbury’s with my list of things to buy for the lunch after the burial next week - we are calling it ‘The Wake’. It was going to be a family only occasion but it seems that some Zambian friends will come too to honour him in the African way.


It only seems right really - everyone knew his heart always belonged to Africa.


No comments:

Post a Comment