Wednesday 4 January 2012

A Fresh Wind

4th January 2012 Wednesday

The house is full of wind tonight - swishing in through the cat flap, whipping through gaps in the sash window frames, screeching down the chimneys.The bathroom tiles are icy under my feet but I’m glad to be home after our sojourn in London with my husband’s little family, my sweet niece and her boyfriend and two dear friends who know and love us like well worn gloves.


And I fell in love with the Victoria and Albert Museum - not just the exquisite jewellery collection and the ceramics exhibition but the cafe too - a room decorated and painted to within an inch of its life - its pillars and tiles and giant chandeliers made me feel like I was in Paris or Vienna. Every crumb of moist orange cake, deep frosted carrot cake, cranberry and cinnamon scone that we shared was as memorable as the entwined Rodin statues and the diamond encrusted necklaces displayed in the galleries.


All of it a fresh wind blowing me into the start of 2012 - imagining I can live with loss and uncertainty, and not let them be the only colours in my palette.


No comments:

Post a Comment