Sunday 6 November 2011

Hug Quota

6th November 2011 Sunday


For a little while yesterday my father had all of us around his bed - three daughters and a grandson. He opened some cards and presents from his other grandchildren.


As we were leaving he said,


What I miss most in hospital is hugs.


Tonight my husband and I are driving back from an art exhibition which didn’t inspire or uplift me in any way, and just before we turn into our road I say,


I wish I could go and give my father a hug.


Well I’ll take you, says my husband.


But in the end I decide against it. I remember my sister is with him and I’m so grateful she is.


I wonder how long a hug can last though. A dear friend told me that we need at least five hugs a day. My father hasn’t had his quota then. But I’ve had wonderful hugs all day from lots of gorgeous women and my lovely husband. So I will have to save up extra big hugs for my father tomorrow on his 92nd birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment