Thursday 27 October 2011

Rose Gold Hammock

27th October 2011 Thursday


I wasn’t going to change my morning plans - shopping at the farmers’ market - and drive over in the pouring rain to see my father. But I’m so glad I did. He’d had a bad night, fallen, couldn’t get back into bed at first. Now he’s full of ideas about buying a tip-you-out bed. So I know he’s feeling better.


I come home to lunch laid out on the table, made by my husband - two big plates of salads, smoked salmon, last night’s roasted artichokes and fennel - and a candle burning. It feels like a first - a reversal of our roles - blurring now. It’s been four months since he stopped working.


This evening the kitchen floods with a rose gold light as the sun starts to sink below pewter clouds drifting across a shell pink sky. Even the pussy cat is outlined in a glowing furry halo. If love had a colour it would be this. Tonight I feel it in a warm bright room full of dear friends - this luminous love spun between us - a golden hammock stretched wide in the world - from me to you and you and you........

No comments:

Post a Comment