Friday 13 May 2011

Left-Overs and Swans

12th May 2011 Thursday


The other day I wanted to roast something but I wanted to eat it soon. I remembered a meal at a friend’s house years ago. She grated all different root veggies and roasted them in a pan so they stuck together like a huge crispy potato latke. So using hers as inspiration here is my version -


Sliced Roasted Veggies Au Gratin


Slice very thinly, on a mandolin or food processor blade, a selection of root veggies. I used carrots, Jerusalem artichokes, potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Slice an onion or two and some cloves of garlic - I used the new green onions and their tops - or you could use leeks.

Mix them up with plenty of olive oil and chopped herbs - I used marjoram and rosemary - and tip into a shallow baking pan. Season with salt and black pepper.


Roast in a very hot oven till meltingly soft and crisp on the top - about half an hour. For the last five minutes take out of the oven and sprinkle over a thick layer of grated cheese - Parmesan is good - or Cheddar - and a shower of sesame seeds and put back in the oven to melt and bubble and brown and catch at the edges.


Serve with wilted ginger greens or a rocket salad.


We had the left-overs heated up today for lunch before my husband went off to make another of his weird and wonderful clay creatures and I went off for a lovely walk and talk with a dear friend by the river. We stopped for a cup of tea in the sunshine and watched a long line of swans heading under the bridge like a band of synchronised swimmers.


My friend asked me what swans symbolised for me.


‘Female fierceness’, I said. ‘Protecting their young.’


I’ve been wondering what fierceness I need to call on inside me to find my way through this floating fear which is never far away. And what do I need to protect?



No comments:

Post a Comment