Tuesday 3 May 2011

Day Before the Funeral

3rd May 2011


Just a little blog tonight - don’ want to be late - need to get up at crack of dawn to drive to Colchester for a funeral. Our lovely nephew is staying the night with us - it is his grandfather we are honouring tomorrow.


So some moments from my day -


  • the loveliest surprise lunch with a dear friend - ravioli with sage and butter and exquisite listening;
  • the triumph of getting through on the phone to my father’s surgery and making an appointment for him;
  • coming home to my husband, poaching himself some eggs, who tells me he has had a golden morning, walking by the river;
  • hearing a dear friend’s voice on the phone - I’ve been missing her;
  • watching the pussy cat eat a whole bowl of tuna;
  • opening the door to my nephew in his dark brown suit and upturned pointed shoes - all grown up and about to be a house-owner;
  • slivering garlic and fresh ginger and green onions and scattering them over fillets of sea bass and plaice - knowing supper will be delicious; loving the two men at my table tonight, who will still be there in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment