Tuesday 26 April 2011

Gagged

26th April 2011 Tuesday


My husband prints out the figures - our current and projected finances. My sister sits with me at the dining room table, holding my hand, as I walk through the minefield.The figures don’t balance - expenditure is greater than income. There are the non negociables - car tax, gas, life insurance, loo rolls. And then the nice things like sun-dried tomatoes, geraniums, perfume and gift wrap. Today I join the rest of the world who must choose a TV licence over cut flowers.


I will find my way in this new world - soon, tomorrow. Carve a path through my old ways of spending. Practice budgeting. I could even be like my big sister who is retiring next month - her income slashed. I could learn from her her talent for ‘making do and mending’.


Instead of feeling gagged like I do tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment