Tuesday 1 March 2011

Pears and Pecans

Tuesday 1st March


Day 314


For the last few days I’ve been a spider, watching the biggest Comice pear in the fruit bowl. I want to pounce on it at the zenith of its ripeness - firm, succulent and sweet. Before it turns woolly and winey. It’s as heavy as a bottom in its green kaki skin. So I’m taking the risk today and making a pear and pecan salad for lunch. After a bowl of pea and potato soup though, as the air is still winter cold outside.


I peel and slice the pear. And it’s perfect. I put it in a wide glass bowl with the torn purple leaves of my husband’s last radicchio lettuce from the allotment, the creamy lime green flesh of an avocado, a pale crunchy stem of celery and a scattering of pecan nuts. It looks like a spring garden. I toss it with sea salt and lemon juice and some hemp seed oil which is full of omega 3.


I use this oil a lot more now as it is supposed to be good for the brain.


No comments:

Post a Comment