Thursday 3 March 2011

Empty Jars

Wednesday 2nd March


Day 315


It’s time to spring clean a kitchen cupboard. The one full of empty glass jars that I have been hoarding for this year’s jams and chutneys. My husband is past master at removing the sticky labels in hot water. But they are now overflowing in clanking plastic bags under the sink as well. My sister - my wonderful de-clutterer - and I tip them onto the table, line them up in size order and search through the collection of lids to match the bottles. It’s now I discover how much Hellman’s mayonnaise, tahini, and honey we eat, as well as olives, sundried tomatoes and Bonne Maman apricot jam. We re-cycle the ones with sticky lids or shapes I don’t like.


I visualise these empty bottles in the months ahead, stacked high in another cupboard. I see them dark and glistening, full of strawberry and rhubarb and blackcurrant jams, green tomato chutney and my husband’s version of it - spiked with red chillis - which he calls Hot as Hell Chutney. Sweet talismans against imaginary hunger.


But I’m learning not to venture too far into the future. Where the view is bleak if I let it be. Best to stay in the here and now with my empty bottles. I notice there are two more jars on the draining board that need their labels removing. At least now there is space for them in my clean cupboard. Thank you, sister.


No comments:

Post a Comment