Monday 14 February 2011

Japanese Valentine

Monday 14th February


Day 299



Apart from us the restaurant is empty at noon. There is a tall elegant vase of long stemmed red roses on the bar. The red paper napkins on our table are folded into the shape of hearts - the Japanese talent for origami. We order pots of green tea and jasmine tea while we wait for our dear companions. And reminisce about some of our Valentine’s days strung out through the years like beads dropping from a necklace - not all were hearts and flowers though.


Our long platters of tiny sushi rolls, tempura and dark dipping sauces are delicious, delicate works of art - full of umami. Almost too pretty to eat. Within half an hour of finishing our meal I think I’m hungry but decide it must be all in my mind. Like romance.


Now the bath is growing cold and my sweet man is calling me to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment