Thursday 3 February 2011

Thursday's Moments

Thursday 3rd February


Day 288


Finding the first purple sprouting broccoli in the farmers’ market this morning - pert leaves springy as jumping beans.


Coffee in a cafe, exchanging memories of 1966 with a dear friend, leaving our African homes for a different life in the coolness of the northern hemisphere.


Lunch with my husband - stretching the left over mushroom risotto with Calvo Nero cabbage, parmesan shavings and peas - a pale creamy sea swirled with weed.


Flicking through a new cookery book - Jamie’s Thirty Minute Meals - while I test and test again my Seville orange marmalade, seething on the stove, trying to capture setting point on the icy saucer .It eludes me for a long ninety minutes.


Standing on the stairs, holding my husband’s misery at arm’s length with briskness and suggestions. Wishing his fear didn’t remind me of mine, a barb in my heart. Wishing I could be kinder - to him and to me.


Tonight the healing company of a circle of dear friends, the haunting notes of sitar and clear Indian voice. And afterwards when the music stops, squidgey chocolate fudge cake and laughing together in smaller circles.

No comments:

Post a Comment