Thursday 10 February 2011

Night Dancing

Thursday 10th February


Day 295


A dear friend sent me this poem by Rumi which I love. Reminding me to be grateful for it all.


The Guest House


This being human is a guest house.

Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,

some momentary awareness comes

as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!

Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,

who violently sweep your house

empty of its furniture,

still treat each guest honourably.

He may be clearing you out

for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,

meet them at the door laughing,

and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,

because each has been sent

as a guide from beyond.


Today a meanness of mine is to criticise my husband for making a cup of coffee when he comes home at 5 pm. Much too late for caffine. I watch him pour it out of the cafetiere in a dark brown stream, loving the aroma.


I say, making him wrong, ‘Even when you know you won’t be able to sleep tonight? ( ie you’ll keep me awake).


We’ll see,’ he says.


I see how much I want to be right about this. Want his insomnia even. I wonder what new delight I’d let in if I gave up the righteousness visitor. Who is in danger of becoming a paying lodger. More smiles I think. And maybe some night dancing in the kitchen with other honoured guests.


No comments:

Post a Comment