Thursday 27 January 2011

Soup and Muffins and a DVD

Wednesday 26th January


Day 280


I still have time to bake a tray of cornmeal muffins to dip into the pumpkin soup which is a spurting like an orange volcano against the saucepan lid. Actually it’s made with a Crown Prince Squash - big chunks simmered in stock with carrots, leeks and onions and then whizzed up with several spoons of Patak’s Korma curry paste and a fat wodge of coconut cream. Hence the lava consistency. I usually peel my squash - a Crown Prince has a thin, grey green skin which can be as hard as parmesan rind. My friend never peels hers and makes a gorgeous soup spiked with Brinjal ( aubergine) pickle. I’d like to try her version next time.


The cornmeal muffins are disappointing. I fiddle around with several recipes - add chopped spring onions and rosemary, chunks of Hallumi cheese, and chips of red pepper. But they are dry and crumbly. However, the two dear women companions sharing my supper are complimentary and we slather the muffins with butter to help them go down.


It is our cinema night but nothing showing inspires us, so we curl up on the sofas under soft blankets and watch a library DVD instead. Called The Peaceful Warrior it’s the story of one man’s courage and determination to overcome all the odds against him becoming an olympic gymnast after an accident which shatters his leg. On the way he learns how the journey is more than the destination. Staying in the now. My lesson too.


No comments:

Post a Comment