Monday 17 January 2011

Rice Pudding

Monday 17th January


Day 271


I’m writing at the kitchen table tonight as I need to keep an eye on the milky white rice pudding burping in a pan on the stove - must make sure it doesn’t stick. I had a yen for another one of my once a year treats. So sweetly unctuous and moreish it has to be rationed. A dark January Monday with the rain slashing on the windows - definitely a rice pudding night.


I’m inspired by Diana Henry’s gorgeous winter recipe book -‘Roast Figs,Sugar Snow’. I choose her Danish Rice Pudding recipe because she serves it with a cranberry compote and luckily I have a glass bowl full of exactly that in the fridge. Made by my nephew on Christmas day - citrussy with orange zest and punchy with port - I’ve been wondering what to do with it.


Ah, I think the pudding's nearly ready - lumpily glutinous in its snowy sea - all it needs is a teaspoon of bourbon vanilla extract and a long glug of double cream. And for my husband to come home from singing in his choir so we can get stuck in with our spoons.


No comments:

Post a Comment