Sunday 23 January 2011

Counting

Saturday 22nd January


Day 276


Hunting for redcurrants in the freezer I come across a small tub of Dutch blueberries - the remainder of a gift from my brother last summer. I decide they will be a perfect addition to the red cabbage and apple compote simmering spicily on the stove. They glisten like black rubies in the steam rising from a choppy magenta sea. Still, they don’t bring the tartness I’m looking for and the fine grated zest of an orange and a splash of white balsamic vinegar join up the taste dots for me.


My cousin and his family are coming to supper and staying the night. This dear cousin, as young as my older sister, has cancer in his bones. They say two years for him. How can you count such a thing? Like trying to catch snowflakes before they melt.


Tonight we are celebrating his daughter’s post graduation. I’m cooking carefully to honour his vegan diet. The all-spiced red cabbage compliments the fat Brazil nut bake, the chilli tomato sauce, smokey with paprika provides umami and wetness, the roasted ratatouille brings garlicky sweetness, the January King and Neroli cabbage are an earthy dark green foil and the roast potatoes are vital - for their fondant crunchiness. And for the texture of the smiles they bring to everyone’s faces. That’s a thing you can count on.

No comments:

Post a Comment