Tuesday 9 November 2010

What's cooking is......

Tuesday 9th November


Day 202


What’s cooking today?


We sat down to a ‘proper’ lunch - roast vegetables; the Jerusalem artichokes are particularly succulent, fresh grilled dabs from Brixham, bright green neroli cabbage and basil mayonnaise. We both missed breakfast - my husband at the allotment picking cape gooseberries and digging up carrots. I only had time for a cup of tea before the boiler man arrived to cut deep into the hall flooring in his search of gas pipes. So hot lunch soothed the prospect of the coming dust and disruption.


What is also cooking is that I have been felled in my tracks by back pain. Which I’m sure will pass. This afternoon, prone on the sofa with a hot-water bottle, I think about the three people I know who live with daily, nightly pain. Two of them will die because of it. And I wonder at their courage. And how they and the ones who love them can endure it.

No comments:

Post a Comment