Sunday 14 November 2010

Sharing Tables

Saturday 13th November


Day 206


Some moments from my day - mostly food on a table shared with lovely people.....


We sit across from my nephew and his girlfriend in a country pub - steam rising from big white plates of lunch in front of us - grilled plaice, hake wrapped in parma ham, fish stew with chorizo, beer battered cod and chips. Dull November light flows in through a wall of glass doors. Their faces are shining though, these young people - bright with New Year plans and nest building.


In fading light my husband and I walk under beech trees following a splashing river. Underfoot the path is mashed up leaves and mud. The cold seeps through the cotton of my new coat - already too flimsy for this season. I’m impatient for 4 o’clock so that we can go and dismantle his ceramics exhibition and go home.


Much later we sit opposite my sister and brother-in-law on the long wooden benches of Wagamamma’s. I fish up the last grains of rice from the bottom of my bowl with chopsticks. Even though I’m still full from lunch, I haven’t yet mastered the knack of leaving food - especially in the warmth of good company.


No comments:

Post a Comment