Monday 8 November 2010

Pushing the Brownie Boundaries

Monday 8th November


Day 201




The other day I tasted the ultimate brownie at the beautiful home of a dear friend. The sort of confection that stops the conversation and requires deep concentration to savour each bite of chocolate heaven. The whole point of a brownie - what makes it different from a chocolate sponge cake - is its texture, which comes from the high proportion of sugar in the recipe - and should be very moist and nearly dense but light and rich too.You can ruin a whole tray of them by leaving them in the oven for just a few minutes too long - which I have done more than once.


I suppose the other point of brownies is their ability to induce in you the throwing caution to the wind concept - the invitation to indulge in a chocolate experience. And when you’ve had one it’s almost impossible to resist another.......


I tried to replicate my friend’s recipe at home but changed the flour to semolina and by mistake used more dark chocolate than I intended. So ended up with a heavy flat creation - more of a fudge really - stretching the brownie boundaries into new territory. Tonight I took them to share with two dear women while we sat on deep squashy sofas in front of a blazing wood fire and kept the dark of the night at bay for a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment