Tuesday 16 November 2010

Lugging

Tuesday 16th November


Day 209


I’ve done a lot of lugging today. Heavy things in and out of the car. Firstly my husband’s clay creatures carefully padded with bubble wrap in an assortment of cardboard boxes, jig-sawed in the boot. We travel in convoy like a muffled zoo - it’s not far to the gallery but all the way I’m tense and watchful - imagining a long tailed cat, a leafy green-man, a pointy-eared dog, slipping off the seat and smashing into pieces if I have to break hard.


We unpack them at the other end - all toes and finger nails in tact.


Later I heave more lumpy bags into the car boot after my visit to Sainsbury’s and again at Lidl’s. I’m stocking up on refreshments for Friday’s private view - cartons of fruit juice, bottles of wine, crisps, olives and smoked salmon. And a good few bars of dark chocolate - I’m sure I’ll need them for Christmas baking. If they last till then.


Luckily my husband arrives home at the same time and does all the lugging into the house. So I’m free for the strenuous task of putting the kettle on.




No comments:

Post a Comment