Wednesday 17 November 2010

Gratitude

Wednesday 17th November


Day 210


‘Gratitude is the memory of the heart’ - Jean Baptiste Massieu.


I think I know what he means. This morning I had several cups of tea and a flapjack with a dear friend in our sitting room, unexpected sunshine - after last nights howling rain - slipping in through the blinds. She reminded me about the practice of gratitude - about how the more you remember to be grateful for all the things in your life, the more grateful you become and so your heart grows lighter. And crowds out thoughts of anger, malice and revenge.


When I was a teacher I had to learn the practice of praising the children - get in the habit of it - instead of telling them off all the time. Much better results. So being grateful is a skill I could learn and get better at. Like writing this blog. I thought I could include it here as a practice - one thing I’m grateful for every day - reminding my heart to be happy.


Tonight as I put my key in the door, instead of being grumpy about having to park the car miles away, I thought how grateful I am to have a front door at all, glowing yellow in the light from the hall. And a lovely husband inside, waiting for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment