Friday 12 November 2010

Cornmeal Muffins

Friday 12th November


Day 205


There are three recipe books open on the kitchen table and three print outs from Google.

I’m researching MUFFINS.


Ever since that first morning in New York when seven of us had an unforgettable brunch at Sarabeth’s - an elegant restaurant overlooking Central Park - I’ve been hankering after the warm tender lightness of a corn meal muffin.


Tonight I made my first foray into the classic world of an American breakfast staple. I read the recipes and then mixed up my own English version - speckled with purple onion, red pepper, parsley and grated oak smoked cheddar cheese.


Although they were nothing like Sarabeth’s, but still savoury and crumbly light, we ate them with poached eggs for supper and remembered the highlights of our holiday.


I’m going to try making blueberry ones next.

No comments:

Post a Comment