Sunday 19 September 2010

Weekly Socks

Sunday 19th September


Day 151


‘Is it cold in here?’ asks my father when I arrive at his home this afternoon.


It is. I feel the radiator. It’s not on.


‘Would you like a blanket?’


‘No, but bring me my dressing gown.’


He pulls it on over his cardigan. I make us a cup of tea. He lets his get cold.

I think his grey socks look threadbare at the heels. He insists he doesn’t want new ones. He says he only changes them once a week anyway.


‘Do you mean you don’t take them off for a week, even in bed?’ I ask.


‘Well, they are difficult to put on,’ he says, ‘ I have to use talcum powder. Smell them if you like.’


He’s laughing and I say ‘no thank you,’ and I laugh too.


There are worse things in the world than wearing your socks for a week.



No comments:

Post a Comment