Tuesday 7 September 2010

Pearly Soup

Tuesday 7th September


Day 139


The radio says it was this day in 1940 that the Blitzkreig started on London.

I think of how we use the word blitz now in recipes - as in ‘blitz the bread in the food processor till it turns into fine breadcrumbs.‘ A purposeful attack on a loaf - no death involved.


I insert myself in the kitchen early this morning, conjuring up autumn soup - before the paint invasion. I chop the first leeks from the market and our potatoes and carrots, add soaked pearl barley and leave it to simmer a long time. When we eat it for supper tonight in deep white bowls, it’s more like a creamy thick stew, peppery savoury and comforting.


I wonder what we’ll have for supper this time next month when we’ll be in a street in New York, the night before my birthday. When I wont’ be writing this blog any more.






No comments:

Post a Comment