Wednesday 29 September 2010

Coming Home

Wednesday 29th September


Day 161


Sometimes I think we eat the same meals all the time and I could be more adventurous in my supper repertoire. But as the light fades earlier and my energy with it, I gravitate more and more to the simple.


Tonight, round pebble carrots and potatoes boil on the stove. A colander of broccoli flower heads will sit in their steam for five minutes before we sit down. The pan of flat, pale yellow beans - a packet we bought on holiday in France - are softening in a stew of sweet orange tomatoes, garlic and red onions. There is more garlic - ours - in the mayonnaise to dab on the organic salmon fillets. If I get the timing right we’ll have half a mealie each to sink our teeth into while the fish spits and blackens under the grill.


Now the house smells like coming home. Better than last night’s take away pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment