Thursday 5 August 2010

Birthday Mezze

Thursday August 5th


Day 106


Scattered on the table - ten little dishes of Middle Eastern inspired Mezze. I go off piste, culturally, and add a fat disc of foccacia and some giant orange tomatoes I bought in the market this morning.The bread turns out to be perfect to dip into the humous and smokey babaganoush and soak up the garlicky oil in the roasted peppers.


We are three around the table - my sister and I celebrating our dear friend’s birthday - which we have done for the last seven years. Today we remembered that first time - the summer my husband and I moved in, when the floor boards were still stained black, the cabinets were painted sea green and there were no glass doors opening onto the garden.


The kitchen has changed but we’ll keep on with our ritual round the table - dipping in and out of each other’s lives like our forks and our fingers deep in another little dish of something delicious.






No comments:

Post a Comment